Saturday, June 20, 2020

Can Older People Still Enjoy Video Games?



Ok, let’s get straight to the point:

Older people and those who are agility challenged can (and do) play video games. Age or infirmity doesn’t have to be a barrier if you choose the right games. 

I have been playing video games for the last 40 years and class myself as an ‘ordinary Joe’ when it comes to video game playing. Now I am fast approaching 60 (too fast, I tell you), I find my reaction times slowing considerably to what they were even 10 years ago.

So, I am not one of those elite players streaming Xbox gamer sessions on YouTube. I am experienced at playing video games, but admit to being below average in playing ability. 

In this article, I will look into gaming for us oldies (I guess I tick that box) and agility challenged (definitely me!). 

Why Is Age and Ability No Barrier To Video Gaming?

Let’s be honest, there are a lot of games out there where age and a lack of ability will crush your will to ever play again. These games demand:

  • lightning hands
  • great eyesight
  • a nimble brain
  • pixel-perfect controller movement

Fortunately, there are plenty games out there that do not require all, or any, of those skills.

There are all types of different video game genres:

  • Action games
  • Adventure games
  • Role Playing games
  • Simulation games
  • Sports and racing games
  • Strategy games

Some of those genres are generally more suitable for the less nimble player. For instance, you will probably have more frustration playing games in the Action genre.

image


 

Are Easier Games Less Fun?

Just because a video game is less demanding on your agility, doesn’t always mean it is not challenging to play. 

This is because the challenge may lie in the puzzles or conundrums set in the game. It may come from the number of times you have to do certain things. It may come from the sheer size of the game itself.

Will Being Older Limit The Games I Can Play?

Yes — any form of diminished dexterity, speed of mind, or reduced senses limits the number of games you will enjoy.

No — there are more than enough games available to satisfy those of us challenged by age or infirmities.

The increasing popularity of smartphones has seen more and more people playing games. It has also seen a widening of the ages of those players. The result of this has seen an increase in the variety of games available to everyone. 

Are You Ready To Play?

There is no reason why anyone who is capable of playing video games shouldn’t enjoy them. Age or infirmity doesn’t have to be a barrier if you choose the right games.

You may find many video games challenging, you may find many too difficult. But you will improve over time and will find many rewarding titles.

If you want more information, then you can read my full article on my website here: 

https://www.anoldmangaming.com/page/?id=can-older-people-have-fun-playing-video-games

Here I go into more detail of the different game genres and their suitability for less agile players. I look forward to seeing you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Xbox Games With Gold For July 2020

Microsoft have announced the Games With Gold line-up for July 2020. You can grab these games with your Xbox Live Games With Gold subscriptio...